Sunday, May 9, 2010

Commencement!

The end of one thing. The beginning of something else. Commencement!



That's right, my two years at the Center for Cartoon Studies are coming to a close this Saturday. It's hard to believe that three years ago I was showing up to CCS to show off my portfolio. I've learned so much since then, but I still have much more to learn.


Evan Dorkin, who created the comic book Milk and Cheese, among others, will be our commencement speaker. I've never met him myself, but he is the thesis advisor of my classmate, Jason Weeks, and from what Jason says he sounds like a firecracker. It should be a great speech.


This graduating class will be the largest that has graduated from the school yet. I believe there are 25 or 26 of us. Most of whom, you can link to on the side bar. I'll list them here, in marching order: Jen Vaughn, Bill Volk, Jason Weeks, Keny Widjaja, David Yoder, Max De Radigues, Josh Rosen, Katherine Roy, Phillip Sherwood-Berndt, Blair Sterrett, Tim Stout, Laura Terry, Ryland Ianelli, Kevin Kilgore, Modi Kwanza, Melissa Mendes, mo, Jose-Luis Olivares, Nick Patten, Matt Aucoin, Eric Baker, Mark Bilokur, Casey Bohn, Gary-Paul Bonesteel, Randall Drew, Holy Holly Foltz, and Lauren Hinds.


The ceremony will be open to the public. Afterwords, there is an art show in the CCS gallery, open all day. Come down and check it out after your done watching your Saturday Morning Cartoons.


It's been a crazy two years. I'd like to thank my professors, and all the visting artists, my classmates and my thesis advisor, Stan Sakai, for all of their time, inspiration, and the memories.


Now, let's go make some fucking comics!

4 comments:

amy said...

That's awesome. Congratulations! And I happen to have the Milk and Cheese trade paperback. I'll have to pull it out and re-read.

Jatronic said...

Already? Holy cow, the time flew by.

Matt Aucoin said...

You know what they say, "time flies when you're working your ass off".

Jatronic said...

I'd like to point out that the "word verification" below forced me to type in the word "humplog". I'm dead serious.