Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Die, Baby, Die! Cover Roughs

So, I've just gotten back from MoCCA and was trying to notice which covers people were drawn to. What actually makes people want to pick up a comic book? It doesn't matter how good the content is if nobody will bother to pick it up. Below are a few quick studies of covers ideas for my first chapter of Die, Baby, Die! They are in no particular order. Please weigh in and let me know your thoughts on which cover you find most appealing and why.
The cover above will be a lot cleaner. I was even thinking about only colouring Chiyoko's lips and eyes in the bottom right corner and leaving the rest as black line art.

The one above is a spoof of the Breakfast Club movie. I couldn't resist, I've always wanted to redraw that cover and it seems to fit perfectly with the characters I'm working with in the first chapter. All the characters would be computer coloured in this case.

Below are three different colour studies of one design. The font might actually be a bit different, I'm not crazy about that Y, but this is the general idea of it.



Thanks for checking this out! I'm trying to get this cover finished sometime soon, and I'll post the final version when I finish it.

6 comments:

Alec said...

I vote for the first cover, at the top!

katherine said...

I actually like the direction of the last designs the best, but they aren't quite there yet. Maybe make the hand a lot bigger? and see what it looks like? Typesetting the title is a really good idea...

Melissa Mendes said...

What if the whole cover were just that painting of chioko's face at the top? I like the first one the best, too.

Matt Aucoin said...

Stan, my thesis advisor, actually suggested going with the one at the top as well. He said I should add in some more details in the white silhouettes, I was thinking of making those details the same colour as the boxes they are in.

Katherine, I've gotten some good responses to the third cover as well. It's something I want to play around with.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Barbara said...

I like the first cover concept too. Chiyoko's screaming face is a real draw for me.

Matt Aucoin said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAHH!