Friday, February 5, 2010

Die, Baby, Die! first few pages

Here are the roughs for my first seven pages of Die, Baby, Die! I call them roughs, because even though they are inked, they haven't been totally cleaned up on Photoshop and there still maybe be some changes to be made. Note that I didn't include page 5 because I totally forgot to scan it when I was in the dungeon scanning today. These bottom panels will fit the page eventually.
This is pretty much the same as before, except I changed Miyuki in panel one. I also added a bit of detail to her face, because after working hard to rip off Dave Gibbon's style (WATCHMEN), I decided to change the way I draw this story. Pages 6 and 7 are closer to what I want it to look like, but I'm dreading having to redraw pages 2-5!

I'm planning on shrinking Miyuki in Panel 4, so that she looks farther away from the Demon, and maybe adding some screen tones on those oh-so-hideous legs so that they push closer to the reader. I might add the shading in with ink, old school style.



AAAAH! Big page turn moment! I think it works nicely. I might want to thicken the lines around the YEEK, and again add a bit of tone or shading to that oh-so-hideous arm. I've been struggling to figure out what I should do for this panel border. I might do it with some scratchy thick lines, to emphasize the freaking outness of this page. Before I had laid it out like some of the edge was cracking away like glass, but I've gotten many different opinions on that. Some say that when you break up the panels, the white space in between represents time. I never really thought of it that way, but it makes sense. Things happen in between the panels, that is for sure.
Another idea was to always keep every panel border the same thickness and shape because comics are about what is inside the panels, not what the panels look like. Some people claim that doing a shakey panel border is way too fancy and just showing off your drawing skills at drawing panel borders. I'm not sure I agree with this, because it is just another tool in your "cartoonist box" to help you get across your story or the feeling of your story.
So all of that being said, I wonder what this panel border will end up being? If I spend too much time thinking about it I'll be Dead, Baby, Dead before the damn thing gets drawn.


I'm kind of liking how this page turned out. This is where I think I started feeling comfortable with Miyuki as a character, too bad she's not a main character because she's really fun to draw. The last two panels are some more of that "too fancy" drawing stuff, but what the hell, I like to draw and I wanted to panels to carry more weight than the top panels.
This page is missing some sound effects. I'm having a crit with Steve Bissette and some of my classmates on monday in hopes to tackle this problem. I have a clear idea of the sound effects I want, CREEEEEEEK! and CLUMP being those. We'll see where that crit leads these pages.




This page isn't finished yet. There are some CLUMPs missing. The two penciled panels I'm hoping to clean up and ink by Monday. Some of the Es need a bit of touching up, I wonder if they are thick enough. I'm sure Steve will tell me. Cheers!



5 comments:

100 Cappuccinos said...

Getting better, Okwon. Getting better.

Jatronic said...

Wow man, you're getting even better. The characters are starting to look professional. The faces are great!!! The only thing that bothers me is that the shading seems inconsistent. Sometimes it's done w/ cross-hatching, sometimes not. Now, you know waaaaay more about this stuff than I do, and I wouldn't want to claim that I know better than anyone else, but I think the panels would look better if the shading technique was the same throughout.

That being said, it's better than anything I've ever done, and I can't wait to see a finished version.

...and bring back Godhead!!!!

Matt Aucoin said...

Yo J-Tron,

Thanks for the comment. I can see what you're saying about the shading. To be honest, I haven't given shading too much thought, I've just been jumping into it.

I wonder if there are any panels that you noticed where the shading works better than other? Let me know. I've been toying around with the idea of dropping in some screen tone shadings in this book. What do you think?

I'll keep shading on my radar from now on. Any critique from somebody who reads so many comics I'll listen to.

Jatronic said...

Matt,

The place where the shading really sticks out is the bathroom stall scene on the fifth page down. The use of different shading styles makes the wall look as if it's dirty or has been scratched. I think if all the lines were going the same way, or if it was all cross-hatched, it would appear more realistic.

Just my thought....

Sean said...

Hey Matt- Nice work!