Thursday, October 15, 2009

Horror Story Intro Thumbnails

This is the introduction to a horror story that I had plotted out. I sent the "script" to my thesis advisor, Stan Sakai. We sat down over breakfast at the Baltimore Comicon and he asked me politely how much feedback of his that I wanted. I told him, "everything." So Stan told me that the introduction to my Demon Horror Story was confusing. He didn't realize it was a horror story until he was about a third of the way through the story. He suggested an alternate intro, which is what I attempted to thumbnail below. I think it sets the correct mood for a horror story. You be the judge...

















These are all rough thumbnails, I still have a bunch more research to do, as far as the building interior and finalizing the character design of the demon. But the two characters, Hisashi and Yuki, are pretty solid. Drop a comment and let me know what you think.





4 comments:

Jason said...

I like it Matt. I think the idea of a horror story is pretty evident from the beginning. It kind of left me wondering what happened to Hisashi. Did the demon get him, did he just go home, or could he possibly be the demon? I don't know the answer but I would certainly keep reading to find out.

Matt Aucoin said...

Thanks, Jason. I'm glad this works as a horror piece. I'm thumbnailing some of the pages to come, and you'll find out all about Hisashi's whereabouts during the attack. I just recently found out that some Japanese schools don't have lockers, so I'll have to redesign a couple of pages for sure.

Pete Rahn said...

Matt, once again, awesome!!! "you like what you see" hahahaha, I love it!! I like the horror and the comedy combined. Dont take it personally if that is not what you were going for.

Matt Aucoin said...

No, it seems that I have a hard time keeping comedy out of anything I do, so I'm trying to embrace it, not as much as Evil Dead 2, but to have it where it works.